the-end-is-neat asked: i am having some trouble with my Derevi, Empyrial Tactician deck. Any advice?
I’ve got a few ideas. :)
Some cards to take advantage of the untapping:
- Fauna Shaman - A great creature to abuse Derevi, use it to pull out all the creatures you need in one turn.
- Surgespanner - Bounce all your troubles away, this can get out of hand quickly if you’re using it more than once a turn
- Opposition - Use this to clear the way for your attackers, then untap everything again using Derevi. Then tap down whatever’s causing you trouble.
- Prophet of Kruphix, Seedborn Muse, Murkfiend Liege - If you go all out with the tap effects, these can help back up Derevi.
- Selesnya Sanctuary, Azorius Chancery, Simic Growth Chamber, Temple of the False God - Great lands to untap, two mana instead of one.
Cards to help all your attackers:
- Bident of Thassa, Coastal Piracy, Edric, Spymaster of Trest - Make the most of every creature that lands an attack, get some cards as well as untaps.
- The Mirrodin Swords - Or just any good equipment. Derevi is great for pumping up because you can keep bringing him back cheaply.
Also, the “inspired” creatures from Born of the Gods are probably worth looking at, if you have ways of tapping them.
P.S. Forgot a couple! Finest hour if you’re not running a lot of attacking creatures, this could be useful for more Derevi triggers and also because it’s a great card. :P Magistrate’s Scepter is a great card to keep untapping, you can then turn it into more turns and more attacks!